- Thursday, October 22, 2020
Southern California Trails
Whiting Woods Motorway - #WhitingWoodsMotorway
Socal - Los Angeles County - Verdugo City NickNames: #WhitingWoodsMotorway
Take the 210 freeway into La Cresenta and get off on Pennsylvania heading south. In less than a mile turn right on Whiting Woods road and this will lead to the gate where you will park.
This is one of several ways to access the Verdugo mountains, and probably one of the steepest. About 3 miles of climbing and you will reach Verdugo motorway. From here you can go right to find La Tuna singletrack, Stough Canyon, and Wildwood fire road. Go left to reach Brand Park and the Beaudry fire roads. Thomas Guide page: 534
- 5 Updates
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Routes
- 0 Conditions
- 0 Checking in -
- Last update
- Trail UpdateWiting Woods To The Other Viper-Just did the "other" Viper today. Trail is way overgrown and looks like a bike hasn't touched the single track in at least a month or so. It is also really rutted out. I will likely do some brush clearance before I ride here again. See post "Witing woods to the other viper" below for directions.
JP a 37 year old from Arcadia, CA URL: MTB Madness - California Mountain Biking
- Trail UpdateFun Run-I live at the base of Whiting Woods and like run a loop that takes about 4 hours. I start at Honolulu and Pennsylvania. Then run to Oakmont Country Club (3 miles). Then take the trail to the top where the bench is (3 miles). Then across the mountian (Verdugo Motorway) down to La Tuna Canyon (5 miles). Then back home (4 miles). It is very fun.
Gary Shermer a 37 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a Iron Horse from La Crescenta
- Trail UpdateWiting Woods To The Other Viper-Go up whiting woods to the intersection of the verdugo fire road, go left. After one mile and a short little uphill vear right on the double track for 50 yards to the top of the ridge. From here pick your way down to the bench, continue down boudry for 50 yards. go left on the singletrack. This is were the fun begins. After 1 1/2 miles of very steep way cool stuff you come to the tower, go down the fireroad 1/4 of a mile at the first intersection, were the little rock turtle is go left for 30 yards then go right and drop down. At this point you are at the bottom of whiting woods. This trail is not for the faint of heart. If you are confident in your bike handling skills and enjoy a technical downhill this is the one for you. This is by far the best loop in the verdugo's. If you want more info E-mail me or if you want someone to ride it with, I will be most happy to.
Ride rating: Advanced
Ride distance: 6miles Elevation change: 1800
Singletrack=45% Dirt Road=55%
mark fagan a 40 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a giant AC from Tujunga
- Trail UpdateWhiting Gruntfest-Woohoo!!! I seem to be a *master* at finding the *wrong* way to climb to the Bench.
Bad way #1: the Brand Park Fireroad. Do not attempt this climb unless you love pain and suffering. Pure little ring anaerobic mayhem. This is the kind of climb that Endo Verendo was born for.
Bad way #2: the Whiting Woods Motorway. The traction is good, and that is the only positive thing I have to say about this climb. This one is actually more mentally crushing than Brand, because it starts off tame, begins to suck halfway up, and then destroys you at the top. The worst part is you can see your destination for most of the 3-ish mile slog, and it gets much, much steeper as you get closer to the end. A true killer.
In all seriousness, I do not reccomend these fireroads between April and September. The verdugos are one big exposed heap of rock and sand, with no shade from the sun, and in the summer, no wind. IMO there is no good reason to suffer up these roads when there are other more practical and less damaging ways to get to the top. I am going to stop exploring and take Joe Truth's advice on routes.
Be the ball... just not on Brand or Whiting.
- Trail UpdateWhiting Woods-Trail is as fast as ever. I had a night ride and remembered the HARD way how rutted it can get. Full endo. STopped dead in my tracks at a good clip downhill. It takes a lot of focus as always, but the condition overall is good.....just be careful night-riding it. It is a sneaky trail and I've seen it chew up many a friend! Enjoy. Don't go too fast ...the corners are tight and BLIND...watch for the dog walkers!
Ride rating: Advanced
DiscSqueal a 30 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a c'dale v from montrose