- Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Southern California Trails
Puerco Canyon Fire Road - #PuercoCanyonFireRoad
Socal - Los Angeles County - Malibu NickNames: #PuercoCanyonFireRoad spanker
I'm posting this because it is a sad day for us Los Angelinos
because Puerco Canyon has been closed to public access. A
corporation has purchased the land and fenced us out!!
So, for those of us who loved to get their butts whipped on
a very steep climb, it's time to say adios to Puerco.
- 7 Updates
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Routes
- 0 Conditions
- 0 Checking in -
- Last update
- Trail UpdateTrail Is Open-Just went to check on report of closure. Trail is open...makes a sharp left at the second locked chain link fence
- Trail UpdatePuerco Canyon Fire Road - Malibu-10-18-2002
Well, I went up yesterday just to see if the way
through back up to the Backbone, Bulldog or Corral
Cyn had reopend. The fence and the teamster
looking guy standing next to his big Chevy 3/4 ton
Dual Rear tire pickup were very persuasive that at
this time, on this particular day, this road is private
and definitely not mt-bike-frienedly. He did
however call me "Sir" and apologized for the
closure. "have a nice ride DOWN "sir". (Spooky)
Maybe I'll try it during the weekend. Anybody else
have any other updates? There were no other fat
tire tracks in the dust to be found.
- Trail UpdatePuerco Canyon-Even though there is a guard, and fence, they still
let you through. One year ago it was a little
tougher, but with the help of CORBA and our
persistence its easier. Just ride it from the top or
Doug Taub a 49 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a Merlin Echo from So Cal
- Trail UpdateOne More Piece Of Precious Earth-It is a sad day when a piece of earth that has served many people for years is closed by those who want to profit from it. I participated in nearly all of the VVA races from '81 on there as well as just riding, and even if it isn't the full kick ass trail, it is still a part of the history of our sport, and a fun place to ride also. The climb will be missed as well as a pretty screamin' fireroad downhill.
There are many trails that we don't need to worry about government and greed taking away, but this is just another one lost.
A sad day for humanity. But it won't stop me from having fun. It shouldn't stop you either.
Ride rating: Intermediate
Ride distance: 6 or 26 Elevation change: 1500-2000
Singletrack=20% Truck Trail=70%
DEVO a 38 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a GPI Racing Alluvion from L.A. Ca
- Trail UpdateA group of us(riders) who live in Corral Cyn have been riding this trail for many years (over 10). We have an attorney who is part of our group is planning on filing a lawsuit against the new owner of the property who is now denying access to a great trail that we have been riding for years. We are also planning on contacting the California Coastal Commission to see what action they may be willing to take. This Property is now owned by James Cameron the creator of the film "Titanic". Start your ride from the top of Corral not the bottom at Puerco. It is called McPeak Motorway. The ride is still open, take the trail that drops into Corral to the North, just prior to the guard. It is very hard to see. Do not go all the way down to where the guard sits in his car as he will tell you that you can't pass. Don't forget to check you brakes before the ride as it's a screamer downhill! Obviously Mr. Cameron doesn't ride. What a shame! Please contact the Coastal Commission in Ventura and let them know how you feel. We will update this message when the situation changes.
Ride rating: Advanced
Ride distance: 5 miles Elevation change: 1500ft.
Corral Locals XC a 17 year old Cross-Country Rider riding a Giant Rainier from Malibu, CA.
- Trail UpdatePuerco A Tribute-I was saddened to hear of the closing of Puerco. Greed and development win again I cut my teeth on Puerco in the early 80's with some great climbs an of course decents VVA and the California State championship Byron Friday Joe Sloup H-ball Great races What wonderful memories You will be missed baby
- Trail UpdatePuerco Canyon-As of August 2000 this trail is no longer open. Sad, very sad. To the corporation that has shut us out: be gentle to
this gorgeous piece of land.
David a 42 year old Cross-Country Rider riding a Gary Fisher Sugar 1 from Los Angeles